Monday, February 20, 2006

Leviticus 9:7~10:20, Mark 4:26~5:20, Psalm 37:30~40, Proverbs 10:6~7

~ Feb 20: Click here for today's readings ~

Old Testament - In Leviticus 10, Aaron's sons Nadab and Abihu are consumed in the fire of the LORD for disobedience. It seems like a very harsh punishment, but I have two hypotheses about why God reacted the way he did. 1) The LORD had been giving such detailed, meticulous instructions and regulations, I don't believe He would have been so detailed and specific if it were not important to Him for people to follow His instructions to the letter. 2) The LORD wanted to make an example of Nadab and Abihu for all generations. I'm speculating that they did not die in vain, but rather to serve as a reminder to us of the punishment for disobedience. If my hypotheses are correct, it is fitting that they would be consumed by fire, as this parallels the fire of hell.

New Testament - When I hear the parable of the mustard seed, I view the mustard seed as the Word of God being planted by Jesus. He was one man sowing the seed, but today his teachings have spread to billions of people around the world.

Hearing about the man possessed by a legion of demons is a scary thought. I think terrorists must be demon possessed; otherwise, why would they be willing to give up their own life to take the lives of innocent victims. It is interesting to note that immediately upon being driven out of the man and into the 2000 pigs, they committed suicide by rushing down a steep bank and drowning themselves in a lake.

Psalms - I like the New Living Translation of these verses that I saw in the One Year Bible Blog. The key verses are Psalm 37:30-31 "The godly offer good counsel; they know what is right from wrong. They fill their hearts with God's law, so they will never slip from his path." I want to fill my heart with God's law. I want to know His path and stay on it.

Proverbs - Jesus said it is not what goes into your mouth that makes you unclean, but what comes out of it. Here is another proverb that links violent words to wickedness. Guard your words and especially do not take the Lord's name in vain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home