Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Leviticus 11:1~12:8, Mark 5:21~43, Psalm 38:1~22, Proverbs 10:8~9

~ Feb 21: Click here for today's readings ~

Old Testament - God placed several restrictions on the Israelites about what they could eat and not eat. Thankfully for us, Jesus removed these dietary restrictions. As I mentioned in yesterday's article, we should not worry about what goes into our mouth, but what comes out of it.

In today's OYBB article, Mike asks the questions: Do you think about being holy? Do you want to be holy? The answers for me are Yes and Yes. I do think about wanting to live up to God's high standard and be holy. I get disappointed in myself when my behavior slips below that level. It's frustrating. However, I pray that the Holy Spirit will keep doing His work in me, to make me holy.

New Testament - This is another of my favorite passages. It's especially memorable if you have seen the DVD The Miracle Maker (see my post of one week ago for more details on the movie) . There are several things going on simultaneously in this passage. First, Jairus seeks out Jesus because he has faith that Jesus can heal his daughter. Meanwhile a woman seeks simply to touch Jesus' cloak, having faith that even this could cure her illness. Indeed her faith healed her. Then Jairus' belief is tested when he learns that his daughter has died. Others too did not believe that she could be saved at that point. Jesus reassures Jairus and they continue their walk together. Jesus puts out the disbelievers and then brings Jairus' daughter back from death.
How much this passage sums up the state of the world today. As Christians, we seek out Jesus because we have faith that he can heal us and bring us eternal life. The Bible is right in front of us within arms reach. We simply have to take it into our hands, into our heart and mind, and we will receive God's wisdom and healing power. There are many people around us that do not believe in Christ; some would even mock our beliefs. But that should not sway our conviction one iota. The disbelievers will be put out, and those that have faith in the Lord will be raised from death and will dance around him like little children.

Psalms - If you are in despair over sin, read Psalm 38, followed by Psalm 51.

Proverbs - Boy, this is a proverb I want to teach my kids. It's not so much that they babble or chatter. But I wish they were better at accepting commands. If anybody has any ideas on how to do this effectively, please comment or email me.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think this is what I need

9:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home